The Windows Mobile genre of mobile operating systems from Microsoft, which is based on the .NET Windows Mobile Framework for smartphones and pocket PCs, is one of the oldest mobile platforms, whose journey began with Windows CE for handheld portable devices then moved on to Pocket PC 2000, based on Windows CE 3.0, and later to Windows Mobile operating system as is known today. The usage of Microsoft .Net Compact Framework & SQL CE as database makes this platform robust, trustworthy and stable.
Benefits of Windows Mobile Applications :
- Runs under very low memory and storage availability.
- Browser support for Internet Explorer Mobile.
- Basic required UI components available in .net compact framework SDK.
- Support for COM and DCOM, low level Services and for a full-range of storage features.
- Enables installing a custom or third party file system.
- Database support for SQL CE, besides other databases.
- Competent security featuresv.
- TrueType and raster font technologies.
- Support for 2-D and 3-D graphics.
- DirectDraw API supported.
- Imaging API which for various still-image codec.
- Audio Compression Manager, which manages audio codec's, audio format conversion.
- Integration of Web Services.
- Use of System registry for storing data of applications, drivers, user preferences, and other configuration settings.